A+ A A-

Business

Checking your carry-on can be a daunting, time-consuming, and expensive task. So much so that it has been called out as a gimmick. Usually, to get your personal belongings to the same location that you're heading, you must wait in exhausting lines, pay extra fees, and pray that your belongings will make it safely to your destination. You never know how the travel gods might be feeling that day to help you out. This is leading others to jump on the new trend of only taking a carry on. It doesn't matter if you're a CEO, backpacker, or an adventurous jet-setter. If you keep these handy tips by your side, you'll have everything you need to make your packing painless and effortless.           1. Making a list (Your game plan.)It's important that when it comes to your game plan, that you stick to it. You should include what you're wearing every day on your list, so you can have one less item on the "What's in your bag list."You can put 3 shirts. (You can combine short sleeve and long sleeve shirts depending on what the weather forecast is.)⦁ One pair of jeans and/or one pair of shorts⦁ Swim shorts⦁ 3 pairs of socks⦁ One pair of shoes⦁ One pair of flip flops/Sandals⦁ A few pair of boxers/briefs 2. Universal shoesBeing versatile on a trip is a virtue. Being Clark Kent and transforming from business to leisure is a true super hero trick. You never know if you're going to have nice dinner or go and hit the trail for an afternoon hike. Here are a few shoes we suggest if you want to play.⦁ Aldan⦁ Scarpas⦁ Merrells⦁ Camper⦁ Rockport 3. Do your WWR'S (Wear, wash, repeat)Overloading your suitcase with more than a couple pairs of pants and any more than 4 shirts for a trip can be detrimental to keeping up with the carry on life. It's a must that you recycle the items of clothing you have brought. So wearing, washing, and repeating is a key factor in this process. Being able to obtain…
Read more...
Beneath the hulking foundations of the Oceana Bal Harbour — a 28-story, $1.3 billion condo tower in one of South Florida’s wealthiest towns — a toxic fight festers between two of Bal Harbour’s most prominent figures over a $1.15 million check.Extortionist! Liar! Puppet master! Bully!Insults and now a lawsuit are flying between Doug Rudolph and Joseph Imbesi, once friends and neighbors who teamed up to sell the storied but decrepit Bal Harbour Club to an Argentine condo developer for $220 million in 2012. The spacious, beachfront property, which Imbesi owned, was a gem, but the pair made for bad bedfellows. [1] Now their vicious feud, over the tower built in the club’s footprint, has erupted into public view. The strife offers a glimpse into the gray area of government, where public business is conducted not at open meetings of elected officials, but in backroom negotiations between private citizens.Last year, Imbesi stood up in front of the village council and claimed that Rudolph — the uncle[2] of former “Saturday Night Live” star Maya Rudolph and a successful restaurateur who’s lived in this upscale community for 21 years — had shaken him down for $1.15 million. As proof, he has presented a copy of a check for that amount made out to one of Rudolph’s companies. [3] Imbesi said Rudolph promised to use his sway with village council members to secure zoning for the site that would eventually sprout the Oceana, and also not block approval for a related project at the beach club’s marina, in exchange for a fee. According to Imbesi, Rudolph operates like the leader of an old-school political machine: the boss of Bal Harbour. Now he says Rudolph didn’t live up to his end of the bargain — and Imbesi wants his money back.But after the allegations were reported to the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office, investigators concluded Rudolph had broken no laws. “Based on the totality of the facts ... no crime was committed and this complaint is closed unfounded,” the office’s public corruption unit wrote in a report dated Nov. 14, 2016.Based on the totality of the…
Read more...
Spring is on the way and love is in the air, and no other month is as focused on the celebration of romance quite like February. While many content couples celebrated anniversaries and the ease of commitment, other brave souls took the plunge into the dating waters. Studies show that more American sign up for dating sites between January and February more than any other time of year, showing that as challenging as forging new relationships can be, people still want to find love. In fact, we polled our single friends to find out how their fared with their Valentine's Day dates and the results were charming--and much, much sweeter than we expected. So while it may be easy to become cynical about the so-called Hallmark Holiday, remember that true love, or at least great first dates, are still out there. "I'd been talking to Max for a couple of weeks and we agreed to go out the weekend after Valentine's Day. To be honest, I wasn't feeling very optimistic because I'd been on a string of terrible dates, but he was cute, and I liked his sense of humor. We decided to meet for coffee, but as it turned out, the place we chose was closed. As was every other business on the block due to flooding. We literally had nowhere to go, and it started pouring. We ended up in the library of all places, and ended up getting hot chocolate from a vending machine. We spent the afternoon sharing our favorite books with each other and were surprised when the library announced they were closing. From there, we got dinner and kept talking. It was definitely the best first date I've ever been on, and I'm happy to say we're still seeing each other." Lucas, 34, costume designer "Sierra and I had been trying to schedule a date for three weeks, but life kept happening. After she cancelled our previous date due to work issues, I figured I was being blown off. I didn't think I'd hear from her again, and then one afternoon I got a…
Read more...
One of the most difficult decisions to make is the choice to start a new job. We spend at least 40 hours a week at our jobs, build our second families, develop our aspirations, and shape our futures--it's crucial to make the right decision for where to do it! The stress that comes along with seeking a new career opportunity can be overwhelming. As adults, we infrequently find ourselves as the new kid on the block, and changing jobs is one of the situations where we can encounter this nostalgic feeling...which can be incredibly hard. So how do we elevate our careers and pursue new challenges without giving ourselves heartburn? When weighing a decision like accepting a new job, it's essential to have a black-and-white checklist of what you have to consider, and we've given you a head start. 1. How do you fit in with the culture? A few years ago, I accepted a freelance job at a very structured company. It was such a departure from my other workplaces, which were solidly jeans-and-t-shirts-and-communal-pizza that I felt immediately out of my element. My co-workers were in dresses, heels, slacks, and blazers, and I felt like someone's kid sister who showed up to steal office supplies. The formality didn't end at their dress code, which I found out as I discovered how quiet the offices were. No loud jokes, no impromptu team lunches, and no morning chit chat. Needless to say, I was pretty miserable. I wish I'd considered how different the culture was before I accepted the job and spared myself feeling inadequate for three months. If you feel like you haven't gotten a great idea of what the culture is like, ask to spend a few hours touring the office. Be a fly on the wall, sit at the lunch table and check your phone will eavesdropping on conversations, look at the work stations--could you see yourself there every single day? 2. How do the benefits benefit you? There's more to a new job than money, although that is a major factor. Look at the total pay, meaning…
Read more...
The housing market in western Broward County is scorching hot, with demand far exceeding supply. New homes are popping up almost everywhere you turn — from Cooper City and Davie to Plantation and cities to the north. Even though Fort Lauderdale and Weston are the cities that have historically represented the Broward market, the overflow demand has pushed many buyers and developers to look at secondary west Broward cities. Buyers are coming from every corner of the country and the world, as is usual in South Florida. And a surprisingly large number are coming from Miami.For a lot of these Miami buyers, the appeal of Broward is obvious. For one, they can get around. That’s what has made western Broward so popular in the last few years. Highways such as I-595 and I-75 have made a great difference in the county. Even though a portion of I-75 is still under construction as it adds additional express lanes in each direction, the expansions and improvements of these highways have helped keep up with traffic demands and avoid gridlock conditions. People can get to work, shop and eat without spending an hour or two in the car every day. Additionally, retail has come right along with the residential — and I’m not just referring to new and proposed mixed-use developments. This includes the recent expansion of Sawgrass Mills as well, which grew its high-end storefronts along The Colonnade to more than 60 luxury brands. The mall, which also offers dining and entertainment options, is planning a new wing of full-price shops and fine dining for fall 2018. Plantation’s Fashion Mall is also set to be replaced by an open-air shopping center that includes luxury apartments and offices, creating a downtown-like atmosphere in the area. These retail options make west Broward very enticing as homeowners and newcomers can have quick and easy access to everything they want and need. The Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is busy and growing, and so is Port Everglades. Tourism has continued to boom. According to the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau, in 2015, Fort Lauderdale welcomed…
Read more...
Miami Beach’s tourism industry has been able to swerve each time Zika has tried to deal it a major blow — until now. Last week, Zika hit the $24 billion industry with an uppercut. Hotel demand went negative for the first time since local transmission of the mosquito-borne illness was detected in Miami — at the now-cleared Wynwood area — on July 29. The number of room nights sold, which has been trending downward since the start of the month, fell to 2.3 percent lower than the same time in 2015, according to the most recent data from analytics specialist STR. Then on Friday, Florida Gov. Rick Scott announced the Zika transmission zone on Miami Beach had tripled in size [1]to encompass two-thirds of the tourism jewel. The zone now stretches from Eighth Street to 63rd Street, wrapping in with it hotels in Middle Beach, such as the historic Fontainebleau Miami Beach, the Eden Roc and the Faena district.Asked if he is concerned about Zika’s impacts on Miami Beach’s tourism industry while meeting with local stores Thursday, Scott said, “Absolutely.”Forty-one cases of locally transmitted Zika have been found on the Beach. [2]Miami-Dade County remains under a travel advisory issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Panic has started to settle in. “The fears of the destination community are being realized,” said Scott Berman, a Miami-based tourism expert at PricewaterhouseCoopers. At a standing room-only meeting between 40 hotels and the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau on Sept. 14, the tension at area hotels began to boil over.The 1,504-room Fontainebleau reported suffering the worst three weeks in 15 years, according to a memo provided to the Miami Herald by the city of Miami Beach. Sixteen groups had canceled trips and two pending group bookings could potentially cancel their business for early 2017, according to the memo. The hotel and the tourism bureau declined requests to confirm the cancellations. Bureau president William D. Talbert III said he did not remember whether the Fontainebleau had mentioned having cancellations at the meeting.According to the memo, the 150-room Carillon, which is on 68th…
Read more...
The initial shock of the “Brexit” vote (England and Wales’ recent decision to leave the European Union) has come and gone, along with the expected turmoil in the global economic markets. The feared collapse of the EU economy has not, and probably will not, happen; the British pound has rebounded from its short tumble in the immediate aftermath; and the sun continues to rise in the east. Brexit now becomes a political struggle between the EU and the British government, which will take roughly two years of negotiations to straighten out their trade agreements.There has been a great deal of speculation about Brexit’s impact on Miami and South Florida from a variety of voices, offering both positive and negative perspectives. From my personal analysis of the tea leaves, Brexit presents some fascinating opportunities for our city’s real estate sector — as long as global and historical trends stay generally consistent.In uncertain situations, smart money seeks stability, safety — and value: From an American perspective, the immediate repercussions of Brexit have been the surge in our nation’s stock market and the continued strength of the dollar. Looking farther down the road, one can anticipate that perceived instability in Europe (and other parts of the world) will drive a tremendous amount of interest and investment toward the United States. Our country has always been a safe haven for global investors, and in this era of uncertainty, solidity will be paramount. As the long-term consequences of Brexit come to be fully realized, I anticipate that many foreign investors will actively seek to reposition their assets to our comparatively stable economy — and as it has for many years, Miami offers unique appeal to these investors.Miami’s remarkable value proposition: In Miami, these investors will find the same financial and personal safety as other major American cities, along with the other well-discussed factors that draw people to our shores: weather, beaches, nightlife, lifestyle, culture, etc. — as well as an absence of any state income tax. The “smart money” will continue to realize what we have been telling people for years: that Miami offers the…
Read more...
In this election year, attention is focused on selection of the nation’s next chief executive. It’s a job that comes with unparalleled prestige and influence. But relatively speaking, it comes with paltry pay.In this annual review of CEO pay [1]at South Florida public companies, one thing is clear: Running a corporation is more lucrative than running the country. But even for company chiefs, annual raises are hardly automatic.An analysis of Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) filings by 26 public companies with headquarters in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties shows that just half of them paid their chief executive officers more last year than in 2014. An analysis by the Miami Herald and Global Governance Advisors (GGA) further shows that CEO pay slid at some of South Florida’s biggest and best-known companies, including AutoNation, Lennar, Royal Caribbean and Ryder. CEO COMPENSATION: INTERACTIVE PAY-FOR-PERFORMANCE TOOL[2]The ups and downs in CEO pay at South Florida public companies were unusually well aligned last year with the companies’ performance, said Luis Navas, senior partner of Global Governance Advisors. GGA research also shows that 2015 CEO pay and company performance were much more closely aligned in South Florida’s corporate community than at the 50 largest companies in the United States.“It’s usually been ... people getting raises even in bad times. But this year, what really stood out in the study was that, for a lot of South Florida companies, the pay-and-performance alignment was the best I’ve ever seen,” Navas said. “The boards of directors of South Florida companies” — who control the companies’ executive pay — “seem to have done a very good job this past year.”The ups and downs in CEO pay at South Florida public companies were unusually well aligned last year with the companies’ performance, said Luis Navas, senior partner of Global Governance Advisors. To be sure, no CEOs are going hungry. The chief executive post commands total annual compensation of at least $2 million at 24 of the 25 South Florida companies examined. The Miami Herald and GGA, an executive compensation advisory firm, analyzed corporate proxy statements that public companies file…
Read more...
More than 100 years ago when the SS Ancon sailed into the history books as the first ship to transit the Panama Canal, the waterway was a display of American ingenuity and the Panama Canal Zone was firmly in U.S. hands.But the ship making the first official trip through the newly expanded canal next Sunday will be a Chinese megaship. The United States completely withdrew from the canal on Dec. 31, 1999, and there was barely any U.S. participation in the $5.5-billion canal project, which will allow the world’s bigger ships to transit Panama’s “highway of the sea.”The United States remains the most important user of the canal and canal officials say it will be for the foreseeable future, but world trade patterns have shifted in the past century and China has become the world’s largest trading nation.Between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. on June 26, China COSCO Shipping’s recently renamed 984-foot-long Panama will approach the new Agua Clara locks on the Atlantic side of the 50-mile long canal to begin the first official voyage through the expanded canal. It won the honor in a drawing among the canal’s top customers. Although the new locks — tall as an 11-story building — are an engineering marvel and the expansion is expected to double the canal’s capacity, it’s been a long slog. The project is being delivered nearly two years behind schedule and various claims by the Grupo Unidos por El Canal (Group United for the Canal), the international consortium that built the expansion, could push the price for the project even higher. The Panama Canal Authority also has its own counter-claims. Arbitration on the first unresolved claim gets underway in Miami in July.But now —110-million man hours, 292,000 tons of structural steel, 1.6 million tons of cement and 5 million cubic meters of concrete later —the project is finished. Panamanian voters approved it in a 2006 referendum.“This is a great project from an engineering and logistical point of view,” said Giuseppe Quarta, chief executive of the consortium.The project, which got underway in 2007, included deepening and widening the entrances to…
Read more...

© Copyright 2012 Miami Business Magazine. All rights reserved.